Wednesday, June 28, 2006

NEW! - A little self indulgence

I created this blog to help people get started with the Grocery Game and to give some ideas to others that were already using it.

However, since it is my blog, please allow me a few moments of self-indulgence.

Open Letter to my fellow Jewel shopper

Dear Mrs. Hubbard,

This is the second time I have run into you on a Thursday at 5 p.m. at my local Jewel store. I suspect you are here every week at the same time since the only two times I have been here, so have you. I don’t usually shop at this time as it doesn’t usually fit my schedule, and I also find it easier to play the Grocery Game when the store isn’t crowded. Certainly not as crowded as it always is right after most people are getting off work and stopping by the grocery store for a quick something or other for their evening dinner.

Let me first say that I think it’s great that you are obviously using the Grocery Game or some similar shopping plan to get some awesome deals. It’s evident from your TWO overflowing carts each time I’ve seen you.

However.

Do you really think that 5 p.m. on the busiest day of the week is the best time to try to navigate two overflowing carts around the store? By yourself? Did I mention that they are overflowing? Seriously – you dropped about 6 gallons of ice cream a couple of aisles back and you might have noticed if the store hadn’t been so busy. If the Olympics makes cart steering a winter event, you will surely make the finals, but you are going to lose serious points for the droppage.

However, I do understand that people need to shop at all different times of the day and night, so perhaps this is the only time you have someone to watch your shoe and the 18 children you must have that live in your shoe. But that’s just judging by the amount that you purchase. Hey – I love stockpiling too, but really – it’s called stockpiling. Not hoarding.

I imagine you must have a houseful of cats too. Of course, I could be wrong, but there has to be a reason that you bought 10 CASES of air freshener. That’s a lot of stink going on in your house.

What I don’t understand, however, is why you think you can get into the express lane. At rush hour. On Thursday. With two overflowing carts. Last time I counted, 15 items fit pretty well into one cart. Today I did give you credit that you didn’t get in the express lane. I did notice though that you asked them to shut down the lane light so that no one would get behind you. Not sure what’s up with that. I can’t imagine that anyone in their right mind would get behind you because it’s obvious you are buying for at least a couple of infantry squadrons.

But you know what really gets me? The fact that you never have your coupons organized. Really. I imagine that every time you come into the store, another cashier quits. It’s just not cool to take out a stack of coupons that is at least 6” high and dig through them while the cashier waits on you.

It goes far deeper than that though. I’m actually worried for you. I think there are some shoppers planning an intervention in the parking lot. Something about the front end of their car connecting with your two overflowing carts. There were actually squeels of glee when the possibility was brought up that there would be bonus points for anyone that could send your coupons flying at least five feet into the air.

Just a few suggestions. Take them or leave them.

But be warned - next time I’m taking my camera, and I’m putting up your picture on a Most Wanted poster. There’s a whole group of people at the Jewel store that want to lynch you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home